Having a strong skincare routine is a sure-fire way to keep your skin looking smooth and beautiful. Sun damage, age and other factors all impact the skin and a great practice to bring into your regime is chemical peels.
What Are Chemical Peels?
Chemical peels are products that provide a deep level of exfoliation to your skin, removing dead skin cells and supercharging collagen growth. From treating oily skin to reducing the appearance of blemishes, chemical peels have many benefits.
So, how do you use a chemical peel properly? All skincare routines are unique, yet these general tips are good for getting you started:
1. Choose The Right Chemical Peel
There are several types of chemical peels on the market, each producing different results and suiting different skin types. Start by considering your individual needs and picking a product that will provide you with the desired results. Here are three common types:
- Superficial peels: This type of chemical peel is mild, exfoliating the top layer of the skin. Superficial chemical peels are recommended for a light skincare routine and are good at treating conditions like age spots.
- Medium peels: This kind of product exfoliates the top and middle layers of the skin and you could potentially experience redness after the peel has been applied. They help to improve fine lines, reduce acne scarring and sun damage.
- Deep peels: The most intensive kind of chemical peel, it’s recommended that it only be used once on the skin. Deep peels are suited to treating scars and harsh wrinkles.
Also, speak to a cosmetic professional to understand the ingredients of your selected peel and have any additional questions answered.
2. Patch Test
Next, perform a patch test of your peel to see how your skin reacts. Apply a tiny amount to the body in an area like the wrist or inner arm. Wait 48 hours to see if there’s a reaction and potentially another day to see if you have had a delayed reaction.
3. Keep Your Face Clear Of All Other Products
Applying chemical peels doesn’t require a lot of preparation, though remember to keep your face clean of make-up and other products that may overwhelm the skin when applying the peel.
Also, remember to wash your face with a soap-free cleanser and water.
4. Apply The Peel Gently
Put an even coating of the peel on your face using a cotton ball or swab and begin with the less sensitive parts. This includes the chin, cheeks and forehead.
Use gentle motions and ensure you leave the peel on for the recommended amount of time as stated in the guidance from a professional or instructions.
5. Apply The Proper Aftercare
Once you’ve removed the chemical peel you should start applying the right aftercare and there are several techniques to use:
- Let the skin peel naturally and don’t pick at it with your fingers
- Avoid using any other chemical peels for at least 24 hours
- Stay away from exfoliation products that have ingredients like retinoids, tretinoins, AHAs and BHAs
- Be strategic with how you use moisturiser in the days after exfoliation and ensure it’s a bland (neutral) product to avoid any irritation to the skin
Find Out More About Our London Chemical Peel Solutions Today
At Omniya Clinic, we offer skincare products and chemical peel treatments at our London clinic. Personalised and efficient, all treatments are designed to match your specific needs.
Book a consultation today and we’ll answer any questions.